Basic Electrocardiography (ECG) Course
This course aims to provide healthcare professionals with the knowledge and skills necessary to conduct systematic ECG analyses of basic cardiac rhythms, and understand the diagnosis and treatment of arrhythmias in order to give the correct and immediate treatment to patients with arrhythmias.
By completing this course successfully, participants will be able to:
- Define the anatomy, physiology, and conduction system of the heart, a 12-lead ECG recording, and a bedside ECG monitor.
- Interpret the electrical activity and waves of an ECG.
- Analyze an ECG systematically.
- Recognize basic cardiac rhythms and life-threatening cardiac arrhythmias.
- Recognize pacemaker rhythms on the ECG, and define the management of pacemaker malfunction.
- Describe the causes of cardiac arrhythmias.
- Describe the treatments for cardiac arrhythmias: drug therapy, defibrillation, synchronized electrical cardioversion, etc.
Duration of the Course
The total number of hours for this course is 40 hours over a period of 6 days. It consists of theory, case studies with ECG strips, and practice on a mannequin in a simulation laboratory. Participants who complete the program successfully receive 40 ANCC credits.
Please contact SANERC administration with questions.
Koç University School of Nursing faculty members and other educators who have experience in this field
Slide presentations and videos
Active discussion: Questions and answers
Case studies: ECG interpretation
Case studies: Simulations
Course materials are prepared and updated based on evidence-based practices from national and international sources in the related field. The materials are given to participants at the beginning of the course.
There are written examinations at the beginning, middle, and end of the course.
- Complete all written examinations with a minimum average of 80% (3 quizzes and 1 final exam).
- Be successful at skill practice.
- Recognize fatal arrhythmias (sinus arrest, ventricular tachycardia, ventricular fibrillation, second degree A-V block, third degree A-V block, asystole).
- Complete all individual studies (homework).
- Attend all theoretical and practical sections of the course (Participation in all lessons is mandatory—only 10% absenteeism is acceptable.).
Certification and Validity Period
The “Certificate of Achievement for BECG Course” is given to all participants who complete the program successfully. The certificate is valid for five years.
The course duration and course subjects are specified in detail on the certificate. The certificate is signed by the President of Koç University, the Director of SANERC, and the Nurse Planner.
Who Can Participate?
All healthcare professionals (nurses, midwives, medical doctors, physical therapists, emergency technicians, paramedics, etc.) who work or will work in a private or government healthcare institution or students who study in schools of health (School of Nursing, School of Health, Medical Faculty, etc.) can participate in this course.
The course is limited to 25-30 participants. Please contact SANERC administration for the program fee.
The program is conducted at the Semahat Arsel Nursing Education and Research Center at the Koç University Health Sciences Campus. Please contact SANERC administration with questions.
Address: Koç University Faculty of Nursing
Semahat Arsel Nursing Education and Research Center (SANERC)
Koç University Health Sciences Campus
Davutpaşa Caddesi, No: 4
34010 Topkapı, İstanbul
Tel: +90 212 311 26 40 – 26 01- 26 03
Fax: +90 212 311 26 30
* This program is conducted in accordance with the ANCC Accreditation Standards.
Conflicts of Interest: No SANERC faculty members have any financial relationships or conflicts of interest in relation to this program.
Commercial Support: No commercial support is provided for this program.
Non-endorsement of Products: SANERC does not gain any advantage from any product sponsorship except for only officially approved products.