Basic Life Support Course
This course aims to improve the knowledge and skills of healthcare professionals in order to perform safe and effective cardiopulmonary resuscitation (CPR) on patients under cardiac and/or respiratory arrest based on current best practices.
By completing this course successfully, participants will be able to:
- Ensure the safety of the environment for both victim and rescuer.
- Recognize the importance of time when initiating CPR and important factors.
- Identify the reasons for cardiac/respiratory arrest.
- Define the risk factors, signs, and symptoms of acute coronary syndrome.
- Explain the risk factors, signs, and symptoms of airway obstruction by foreign bodies.
- Perform interventions on choking adults, children, and infants safely and efficiently.
- Perform CPR interventions on adults, children, and infants safely and efficiently.
- Apply an automated defibrillator safely.
Duration of the Course
The total number of hours for this course is 12 hours over a period of 1.5 days. It consists of 5 hours theoretical training and 7 hours practical training on the model in the skill laboratory. Participants who complete the program successfully receive 12 ANCC credits.
Please contact SANERC administration with questions.
Koç University School of Nursing faculty members.
Slide presentations and videos
Active discussion: Questions and answers
Demonstration: practice in skill lab, simulation
Scenarios and role play
Case studies: Simulations
Course materials are prepared and updated based on evidence-based practices from national and international sources in the related field. The materials are given to participants at the beginning of the course.
There are written examinations at the beginning and end of the course.
- Score at least 88 out of 100 points from the exam at the end of the course.
- Be successful at skill practice.
- Participation in all lessons is mandatory—only 10% absenteeism is acceptable.
Certification and Validity Period
The “Certificate of Achievement for BLS Course” is given to all participants who complete the program successfully. The certificate is valid for five years.
The course duration and course subjects are specified in detail on the certificate. The certificate is signed by the President of Koç University, the Director of SANERC, and the Nurse Planner.
Who Can Participate?
All healthcare professionals (nurses, midwives, medical doctors, physical therapists, emergency technicians, paramedics, etc.) who work or will work in a private or government healthcare institution or senior students who have successfully completed anatomy and physiology courses in schools of health (School of Nursing, School of Health, Medical Faculty, etc.) can participate in this course.
The course is limited to 30 participants. Please contact SANERC administration for the program fee.
The program is conducted at the Semahat Arsel Nursing Education and Research Center at the Koç University Health Sciences Campus. Please contact SANERC administration with questions.
Address: Koç University Faculty of Nursing
Semahat Arsel Nursing Education and Research Center (SANERC)
Koç University Health Sciences Campus
Davutpaşa Caddesi, No: 4
34010 Topkapı, İstanbul
Tel: +90 212 311 26 40 – 26 01- 26 03
Fax: +90 212 311 26 30
* This program is conducted in accordance with the ANCC Accreditation Standards.
Conflicts of Interest: No SANERC faculty members have any financial relationships or conflicts of interest in relation to this program.
Commercial Support: No commercial support is provided for this program.
Non-endorsement of Products: SANERC does not gain any advantage from any product sponsorship except for only officially approved products.